Draining your water heater is an important maintenance task for removing the sediment buildup from the tank. Removing this sediment or deposits buildup is necessary to prevent problems that can cause your water heater to work harder and consume more energy. If you don’t remove sediment and scale from the water heater tank from time to time, the day is not far away when your water heater will fail. When this happens, you will be obliged to find the best plumbers in Modesto and schedule a visit from one.
The reason for a noisy water heater is often sediment buildup, which has not been removed regularly.
Sediment or scale buildup forms a thick coating at the bottom of your water heater or even covers the heating elements inside it. Due to this, the water heater will work harder to heat the water in the tank, leading to more energy consumption and more energy costs.
Why Draining your Water Heater Tank is Essential?
Regular draining of the water heater tank will eliminate the possibility of sediment or scale buildup. When there is no buildup, your water heater will perform as efficiently as possible.
Sometimes, the mineral buildup can even clog the drain valve of the water heater tank. This is the valve that is used to drain the water heater tank. So, this sums up how important it is to drain your water heater tank periodically.
Other issues that can arise are :
- Corrosion inside the tank can cause leaks
- Higher energy bills.
- Water heater becoming Inefficient
- Not enough hot water
Eventually, learning the steps how to drain your water heater will help you save money on water heater repair in Modesto’s homes and extend the lifespan of your water heater.
Here is the Step by Step Instructions on How to Drain a Water Heater :
- Turn off the power supply to the electric water heater or gas supply if it is the gas-powered water heater.
- Turn off the cold water supply valve which sends cold water to your water heater tank.
- Find the drain valve ( located at the bottom of the tank) on the water heater and attach a garden hose to it.
- Keep the opening end of the garden hose outdoors or place it in a tub to drain the water.
- Once you place the garden hose outdoors, open the drain valve. Before opening this valve, make sure you open the hot water faucet to prevent the vaccum from forming inside the tank.
- Locate the pressure relief valve( on top of the water heater tank, and open it.
- Let all the water in the tank drain out.
- After the tank has finished draining, turn on the cold water supply valve. Keep it running for 4-5 minutes so that any sediment left in the tank comes out with it.
- Turn off the pressure relief valve and the drain valve.
- Remove the garden hose from the water heater’s drain valve.
- Let the water tank refill and turn off the hot water faucet.
- Turn on the power to the electric water heater and relight the gas water heater’s pilot light.
If you think you can’t do this yourself, you can always hire a reputable water heater and drain cleaning Modesto service for this important water heater maintenance task.