Because of the severity of possible injuries sustained in a car crash, it’s not unusual for persons involved to need to miss time from work in order to get medical attention and recover. But if you lose your job and have to pay for expensive medical treatment, you could find yourself in a financial bind.

Discuss your situation with a Rochester personal injury lawyer.

The subject of whether or not they can get their lost wages compensated is a common one for people who have been in vehicle accidents. Usually, that would be the case. But, in order to get compensated for your missing pay, you must take the necessary measures and file the appropriate documentation, not just inform your insurance provider that you missed days at work.

Instructions for Filing a Compensation Claim for Missed Pay

Get your lost wages from the at-fault driver’s insurance company or submit a claim under your own no-fault insurance policy after an auto accident. But, you can also launch a lawsuit against the at-fault party and their insurance company if the latter refuses to pay you a fair amount for your damages despite your efforts to prove their liability.

It’s crucial to review the policy or policies in question to determine the extent to which lost wages are compensated before filing a claim. In the case of an accident, all drivers in the state of New York are obliged to have no-fault insurance to assist pay for medical bills and missed income. Depending on the state you live in, basic no-fault insurance may pay up to $2,000 per month in lost wages and medical bills for you and your passenger for up to three years following the date of your car accident, with a maximum payout of $50,000.

If the other motorist was at fault for the collision and you submit a claim for lost wages with their insurance carrier, you will likely be able to do so under their responsibility bodily injury policy. But, if the other motorist was at fault and uninsured, or if you have collected everything that you can from the other driver’s insurance, you can also try to collect lost income from your own SUM policy.