If you are an avid gamer, then you will be able to relate to the pain one experiences when the PS4 controller drifts. This just ruins the gaming experience. If a controller starts to drift, then you won’t be able to do much. Your character will start to move on its own, or if you are aiming for a headshot, you will most likely miss the target due to this issue. It won’t be wrong to say that this problem annoys a lot of people, and rightfully so. After all, you can fail a mission, or worst, die all because the analog stick decided to act up.
What Causes PS4 Controller Drift?
Let’s be honest; no one really takes good care of their controllers. There are some gamers who, after losing a game, just throw away the controller out of rage. This usually happens when someone uses subscribes to cox internet by dialing Cox customer service phone number to play a highly competitive game online with friends. While others simply don’t care enough to protect them better. And so, the controller drift is bound to happen. More specifically, the PS4 controller drift happens because of two reasons
- The analog stick is really dirty.
- You have damaged the potentiometer or the analog stick.
Also, depending on how you use it, your controller can go through some wear-and-tear over time. Therefore, you should always try cleaning your controller often.
How to Fix PS4 Controller Drift?
If you have noticed that your PS4 controller is drifting, then there is no need to panic. Instead, take a deep breath and just relax! There are ways that can help you fix this issue. So, without further ado, let’s have a look at some of them.
#1. Reset Your Controller
You may not know this, but resetting your controller can help you get rid of multiple issues. With that said, here’s how you can perform a reset.
- Switch on your PS4 console and go to the “Settings.”
- Here, you will see an option of “Devices.” Select it!
- You will now see “Bluetooth Devices.” Hit the option.
- Once done, look for the inactive controller and then select it. The active controller will be lit green.
- Hit the “Options” button on your controller.
- A menu will open on screen. You have to select “Forget Device.”
- After you have done that, simply turn off your console.
- You now have to connect the controller with your PS4 with the help of a USB cable.
- Switch your console on and start your controller.
- See if the controller is working fine or not.
#2. Clean the Controllers
This cannot be stressed enough! If you want your PS4 controllers to work for a longer period of time, then it is essential for you to clean them often. Here is how you can do that:
- For cleaning your PS4 controllers, you have to make sure that your console, as well as the controllers, are switched off.
- Now take a blow dryer and adjust it to cold settings. You can also take any other device that can produce compressed air.
- This compressed air is what is going to eliminate the dust particles around the analog stick.
- You can aim the device right at the analog stick and then move it slightly so that it gets cleaned properly.
Once you are done cleaning, turn on your console, and you will definitely notice some improvements.
#3. Deep Cleanse the Controller
You can deep cleanse your PS4 controller to fix the analog drift issue. However, you should only perform this step only if you have experience when it comes to handling electrical components. You can open your controller and then clean it gently and thoroughly with a cotton swab. This way, you will be able to get rid of all the dust particles.
#4. Get the Controller Repaired or Replaced by Song
If enough time hasn’t passed already since you bought the console, then the chances are that you still have the warranty. And if you do, then simply open the PlayStation Repair & Replace page on your browser and select DualShock 4. You can then follow the prompts to check if you are eligible for a free replacement or repair.
#5. Replace the Analog Sticks of Your PS4 Controller
Here’s something you probably didn’t know; the analog sticks of your PS4 controller can be easily replaced provided if you have the right tools. You will also need a soldering iron. The analog stick can be purchased from a gaming shop. If you don’t want to do this process, then you can ask a professional for help or simply invest in a new controller.
PS4 controllers are designed to last longer, but if you continue to be careless, they can bump into issues such as analog drift. However, you can avoid this problem if you clean the controllers often. Also, you can also try the above-mentioned ways to fix your controller. But you can completely ignore deep cleansing of the device if you have no knowledge of handling electrical components.