Washable wall paint is a type of coloring composition distinguished by its water resistance and greater durability compared to conventional paints and varnishes. Such paint creates a coating on the walls that is resistant to mechanical damage and is not afraid of moisture, which can often be washed using common household chemicals.
Areas of application
Due to their characteristics, washable paints and varnishes are suitable for use in rooms with a high level of humidity – for example, in bathrooms. They create an elastic waterproof film on the walls, which, on the one hand, allows the walls to breathe. Also, it does not allow condensate to penetrate under it, protecting the walls from dampness and mold.
Washable compounds are also well suited for kitchens, where walls get dirty quickly due to dust, grease, stove splatter, and sometimes even soot. The most resistant varieties of such compounds can even be used in the area of \u200b\u200b the kitchen apron behind the sink and behind the stove, where pollution is usually the most.
It should be borne in mind that such compositions are intended exclusively for internal work. Although they are waterproof and resistant to damage, they are not recommended for use on building facades. Facade coatings must withstand changing weather conditions and strong fluctuations in humidity and temperature, so it is better to use specialized materials for external work.
Types of washable paints
Their composition shows washable wall paints are divided into the following main types: latex, water-based, silicone, and acrylic. These species do not have a strong odor, dry quickly (on average in a couple of hours), are non-toxic to humans, and are environmentally friendly. Consider how they differ from each other and which one is better to choose.
- Water-based paints: As their name implies, they are made on a water basis, dry very quickly, and are easy to apply. However, this type is the most affordable of those listed and the most short-lived – it is less resistant to abrasion and mechanical stress than others.
- Acrylic paints: These compositions are made from acrylic resins, which give them great strength, masking ability, and elasticity. Compared to water-based formulations, acrylics are denser and thicker, which helps them hide scratches and minor surface defects. Acrylic is presented in various colors, making it easy to choose the right one. However, it would help if you remembered that after drying, such a coating usually darkens by 1-2 tones.
- Latex-based dyes are rightfully considered one of the best due to their strength and wear resistance. Most often, they are used for wall decoration in the kitchen because they are easy to clean and can withstand aggressive cleaners and abrasives. To care for latex-painted surfaces, you can use a damp cloth, sponge, and even a soft brush. Such paints are more expensive than previous options. However, they will serve noticeably longer.
- Silicone formulations are based on silicone resins and are the most expensive on the market. However, such compositions are also the most durable and have a dirt-repellent effect, allowing them to maintain an attractive appearance for a longer time. Under such a coating, the walls will freely pass air but will not absorb moisture.
- Oil paints: Although waterproof, they are practically not used in residential premises. They are flammable, have a solid and persistent odor, and form a vapor-tight film that does not allow the walls to breathe. Therefore, it is better to refuse their use and choose another, more modern finish.
Suppose you need to find out the best washable paint suitable for your home. In that case, you need to source the information from a reputable painting contractor near me. However, the reputable house painting service is offered by Local Painting Los Angeles.