Legal actions against prominent establishments as well as large conglomerates that are well-known are regular. With these suits, individuals ensure that these companies aren’t using their power and influence to carry out illegal, morally shady or unlawful actions.
Settlements are often the result of lawsuits which let the parties and people who were eligible to join the lawsuit are awarded cash compensation. One of the most recent lawsuits involves TikTok that has resulted in Tiktok class Action Lawsuit 2021 trending.
The suit mainly targets people living who reside in the United States. Read this article to learn more about the lawsuit and determine whether you’re eligible for settlement.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is among the most popular social media apps with millions of downloaded since their launch. ByteDance is the sole owner for this Chinese streaming platform.
Users make short videos on the platform that span between 15 seconds and three minutes, and then upload them to other users. The international popularity of TikTok occurred only following its combination with Musical.ly Another Chinese service.
The Tiktok Class Action Lawsuit 2021
- It’s a federal suit that was filed in the United States against TikTok from the United States, where recent developments have been announced.
- The settlement of $92 million made by TikTok is currently pending before the court. It is likely to be approved, and those who qualify will be awarded the money.
- The lawsuit claims that TikTok was in violation of major laws by acquiring users’ information without seeking their consent.
- TikTok along with Musical.ly are both named under the same allegations in this lawsuit.
- TikTok has denied the claims However, the court ruled the case in February of this year.
- Users received a notice from TikTok about the settlement on the 15th of November.
Results of The Tiktok Class Action Lawsuit 2021
- The lawsuit alleges that TikTok obtained biometric data without the consent of users.
- The users who made use of the application prior to September 30 are able to make a claim until March 1st 2022. Minors can also file the claim.
- Because Illinois has laws strict on this, users of Illinois may receive up to six times the amount. But, they must have made videos on TikTok.
- The users who qualify can visit the site for TikTok privacy settlements and submit their claims for compensation.
- According to sources, users could receive compensation in a variety of ways in the Tiktok Class Action Lawsuit 2021.
- The compensation can be received via PayPal, Venmo, a pre-paid card or a physical check.
- The amount of the compensation will vary based on the volume of people who submit the claim. The total amount of settlement will be split among the clients.
The Final Verdict
The users concerned filed a complaint in court against TikTok as well as Musical.ly, Chinese social media applications for unlawful storage and collection of personal information. The case was settled and the liable users could be able to receive compensation. The pertinent details are listed below.