Were you hurt in a freak slip & fall accident? Are you a victim of a car crash in Long beach due to another driver’s fault? Did the neighbor’s dog bite you out of nowhere? Did you suffer because of a surgical error? These are some instances when you may have an injury claim against the other party at fault. While personal injury laws in California are meant to help victims, people often have a hard time recovering compensation as they are unsure of what to expect or do immediately after a mishap. It is pertinent to hire a Long Beach personal injury lawyer soon after so as to explore all legal options. Below are things you need to discuss with your lawyer when you meet for the first time.
The scope of the claim
Just because you have endured losses or have suffered injuries doesn’t always mean you can recover a settlement from the other party. As the claimant, you are required to present evidence and information to prove that the party was at fault. An experienced injury lawyer can help you discover various aspects of your claim. Ask questions like –
- What is your initial review of my injury claim? What would you recommend right now?
- What is the expected settlement?
- How long will it take to recover a settlement?
- What factors can impact my claim?
- Will the case go to trial?
The injury lawyer’s profile
Some personal injury lawyers are great at handling medical malpractice lawsuits, but they may not know everything about other types of cases. It is best to find a lawyer who is the right fit for your case. Here are some questions to ask about the lawyer’s profile –
- What is your work like as an injury lawyer?
- What kind of cases do you usually encounter or take in your practice?
- Have you ever been to court for personal injury lawsuits? If yes, what is your success rate?
- Do you have time to fight my claim?
- What can you tell me about your experience with insurance companies
Fees and costs
Most lawyers take up injury claims and wrongful death cases on a contingency fee in California. Yet, it is wise to get an overview of the lawyer’s fee and other expenses that are your responsibility. Make sure to have a clear contract with your attorney.
Consider hiring an injury lawyer as soon as you feel better.