One may become eligible to receive an inheritance during a marriage or when separating. Maybe a parent or grandmother passed away, and according to the estate process, you may receive the settlement.
However, given the numerous other variables in play, it does not follow that you and your ex-spouse will share the advantages of an inheritance equally. As you might anticipate, obtaining an inheritance in the first year of a twenty-year relationship differs from doing so one day before consent orders are filed with the court after your separation.
Even while an inheritance may be said to be going to a specific person (for instance, from parent to child), it’s possible that the true goal was to leave the money or assets to the entire family. If so, it’s possible that the inheritance’s contributions won’t be counted in favour of just one party. It is better to take the advice of a lawyer when it comes to family law. When you approach a family law lawyer, he or she helps you by doing their best for you. Choose the law firms like Madison Marcus, if you are looking for the best assistance.
The Court will consider the genuine intentions when deciding how to handle an inheritance if there is proof that the original plan was to leave it to the entire family. Of course, finding that proof can be challenging, especially after the death of a person.
It can be very tempting to keep an inheritance a secret if you get it in the middle of a divorce. However, this is not at all a good idea. Below are some of the reasons for it.
- Someone will inevitably learn that you concealed a significant asset.
- Even if you file consent orders jointly with your husband, the court may later decide that there was a major non-disclosure and throw those orders aside.
Therefore, even though you might be inclined to act differently, it’s still better to be transparent, seek counsel, and make sure you’re doing everything you can to ensure a fair distribution of assets.
If possible, it is always desirable for parties to settle any family law dispute outside of court. It is possible to resolve this through direct negotiations i.e., by taking the help of lawyers. If the dispute cannot be settled outside of court, you can proceed with filing an application for property orders in the court. A divorce must be finalized within 12 months of the application being submitted, and de facto partnerships must be finalized within 2 years of the application being submitted.
How to hire a family law lawyer?
- Read the reviews online for finding the best lawyers. There are plenty of review websites nowadays. Check such websites to get an idea of different law firms.
- Speak with different lawyers in your location to know how they deal with their clients. Choose a lawyer who listens to Read the reviews online for finding the best lawyers. There are plenty of review websites nowadays. Check such websites to get an idea of different law firms.
- Speak with different lawyers in your location to know how they deal with their clients. Choose a lawyer who listens to you with great patience.
- Last but not the least, choose a chicago divorce lawyer who can provide you the legal services by charging a reasonable fee.