Many a time, carbon monoxide (CO) is known as a silent killer, as it is tasteless, odourless and also invisible making it the most overlooked danger in homes. According to experts, around 450 people die and 20000 need hospitalization due to carbon monoxide poisoning. These numbers rise in wintertime when HVAC systems work more. Carbon monoxide comes through oil, gas, charcoal, and wood fuels which are burned incompletely. The creation of carbon monoxide is commonly seen in old furnaces, HVAC Duct Cleaning systems or water heaters which have not been vented properly. However, the furnaces, water heaters, electric ovens, and any other electrically powered devices which operate normally do not generate carbon monoxide. 

 Although artificial heating is not the sole source of carbon monoxide in your property, it is a major contributor to its creation.

Sources that are responsible for the creation of carbon monoxide

  • Gas stoves and ranges
  • Fabric dryers
  • Water heater
  • Fuel-burning space heaters
  • Fireplaces
  • Burning stoves
  • Gas grills or charcoal 

If you are wondering, ‘How to test for carbon monoxide?’ then the most accurate way of detecting carbon monoxide is by performing an indoor air quality test. You can hire a professional firm that can perform this carbon monoxide testing to determine the extent of carbon monoxide in your indoors. Also, you might call some municipal fire departments and utility companies to check carbon monoxide testing at affordable rates.  

One significant tool which is used during this test is an electronic portable toxic multi-gas monitor. This device is high-end and can detect carbon monoxide gas from about zero parts per million. Additionally, professionals will check if there are any other harmful pollutants like mould, allergens, radon, and so on.

Thereafter, if the experts determine that your HVAC system is the main source of the carbon monoxide in your property, then you can connect with an HVAC cleaning company and check your system by using a combustion analyser. A combustion analyser is a tool that can test gases that come from furnaces and ensures that the ratio of carbon monoxide to oxygen stays within the standard range. A combustion analyser tests only gasses combusted directly from a furnace, not overall air quality. However, this device is too expensive and also needs to be handled by experts. However, a lot of HVAC companies and on-site air quality testing companies do not have combustion analysers, so you can check and make sure whether the firm is well equipped with advanced machinery.

 Hence, the simplest way for checking whether there is carbon monoxide in your home is by using a carbon monoxide detector which also has an alarm. In some buildings, there might be a carbon monoxide gas detector as an inherent code. However, in case you do not have carbon monoxide gas detectors in your house, then you might need to call a professional who can help you in assessing whether your home contains carbon monoxide. The inspector will also give some instructions to prevent the outspread of this hazardous gas on your property. 

 Also, one must remember that over the counter gas detectors are much more expensive but do not work as accurate as expected. They can be used as the last layer of warning for protecting individuals in populated areas like bedrooms, dining rooms, living rooms, and hallways. However, these carbon monoxide gas detectors are not capable of examining the exact location of carbon monoxide spread. 

 Although some detectors fail to determine the outspread of carbon monoxide, still there are a few symptoms that individuals might experience if there is a carbon monoxide leakage in their surroundings.

Common symptoms which are experienced by people:

  • Dizziness
  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Stomach problems
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Confusion and chest pain

Poisoning due to carbon monoxide is trickier during winters as its symptoms coincide with the symptoms of flu which spreads during winter. However, here are some signs which can help you to distinguish between symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning from the symptoms of flu-

  • Everyone in your family is ill at the same time
  • Pets are also experiencing sickness
  • You are feeling relaxed after leaving your home

Although everyone gets affected due to carbon monoxide poisoning, still infants, seniors, and individuals suffering from heart disease, anaemia, and respiratory issues might experience severe effects.  

 So, in case you are suspicious about having an outspread of carbon monoxide in your home, then you must leave the home right away and connect with the fire department or a professional company that can detect the existence of carbon monoxide in your property. Also, open all windows and turn off the stoves, water heaters and your HVAC system.

 At Nifty Duct Cleaning, we provide carbon monoxide testing to help you in staying safe and secure. Our technicians are experts and are equipped with advanced machinery. So, connect with us right away and schedule your appointment now.