Cannabis for trouble sleeping is something that many patients debate about. Since 83% of MMJ patients with insomnia (a sleep disorder) report better sleep after using medical cannabis, more people ought to consider this alternative treatment method.
If these existing studies pique your interest in cannabis, Teleleaf.com marijuana doctors will help you gain access to medical marijuana products. Here’s a closer look at how cannabis can help alleviate your trouble sleeping.
What Are Normal Sleep Stages?
Before considering cannabis for trouble sleeping, assess whether you experience good sleep. There are four stages of normal sleep:
● Stage 1 – N1: This stage is when you would doze off into sleep, which ideally lasts between one and five minutes.
● Stage 2 – N2: This stage involves the body entering a more relaxed state, with slower breathing and lower temperature. Stage 2 sleep can last up to 25 minutes.
● Stage 3 – N3: The body relaxes even further in Stage 3 sleep, which is known as deep sleep. N3 sleep stages last up to 40 minutes.
● Stage 4 – REM: The final stage of sleep is known as REM, which stands for rapid eye movement. This stage is when you would dream. You would normally reach it after at least 90 minutes of sleep and it makes up about 25% of sleep.
You may not complete all of these stages when you have trouble sleeping. Perhaps you wake up randomly and struggle to get back to sleep. In these cases, consider medical cannabis for your trouble sleeping.
Reasons for Trouble Sleeping
Common causes of sleep issues include one or a combination of the following:
● Stress: Mental and physical stress can keep you awake at night.
● Irregular sleep schedules: You may be taking too many naps during the day which affects your night sleep.
● Mental health disorders: Experts associate depression and anxiety with insomnia.
● Physical pain: Having a painful injury may be keeping you awake at night.
● Medication: Taking medicines for other conditions could interfere with your sleep.
Does Marijuana Affect Your Sleep?
Experts associate the plant with restoring a person’s natural sleep cycle, which is important considering the state of modern, fast-paced living.
Improving Sleep With Medical Marijuana
Medical marijuana for improving sleep comes in different forms that you can eat or drink. It also comes in liquid forms that you can vaporize for inhalation.
Depending on what kind of improvements to your sleep you want, look for these types of marijuana strain:
- Cannabis Indica: Indica strains can promote sleep by helping you feel more relaxed and calm during bedtime.
- Cannabis Sativa: Sativa strains can stimulate the brain and relieve nightmares for a more peaceful, uninterrupted sleep.
There are also hybrid strains combining indica and sativa, which produce unique effects on sleep. When looking for MMJ products, be sure to confirm that the manufacturers mention they are specifically for sleep.
How Cannabis Can Help with Trouble Sleeping
Experts believe that medical cannabis helps improve sleep because of the plant’s natural compounds or cannabinoids. Cannabinoids interact with your body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS), which contains cannabinoid receptors.
These special receptors interact with cannabinoids to promote sleepiness.
Can Cannabis Help You Sleep?
Yes, there is overwhelming medical evidence supporting claims that medical cannabis alleviates any trouble sleeping. In particular, one study describes how marijuana can alter the basic structure of normal sleep for the better.
This study describes how cannabis helps increase the time you spend in specific stages of sleep that help you wake up properly. As such, medical cannabis has the potential to promote healthy sleep quality.
Will You Sleep Better With Cannabis?
Existing studies, as mentioned above, point to the possibility of cannabis’s ability to improve your overall sleep quality. However, consider that these studies remain limited. Longitudinal research into cannabis’s effects on improving sleep is still necessary.
Be sure to consult with a marijuana doctor to determine whether cannabis is an ideal treatment method for your sleeping troubles.
Cannabis is a common subject when it comes to improving sleep. While some people report improved sleep quality after using medical cannabis products, remember that effects vary per person. Connect with our marijuana doctors at Teleleaf.com to discuss your situation and get access to medical cannabis for trouble sleeping!